Excerpt from ASHI
The inspector shall:
- the interior water supply and distribution systems including all fixtures and faucets.
- the drain, waste and vent systems including all fixtures.
- the water heating equipment.
- the vent systems, flues, and chimneys.
- the fuel storage and fuel distribution systems.
- the drainage sumps, sump pumps, and related piping.
- the water supply, drain, waste, and vent piping materials.
- the water heating equipment including the energy source.
- the location of main water and main fuel shut-off valves.
The inspector is NOT required to:
- the clothes washing machine connections.
- the interiors of flues or chimneys which are not readily accessible.
- wells, well pumps, or water storage related equipment.
- water conditioning systems.
- solar water heating systems.
- fire and lawn sprinkler systems.
- private waste disposal systems
- whether water supply and waste disposal systems are public or private.
- the quantity or quality of the water supply.
C. operate safety valves or shut-off valves.